Some of my hipster Berlin travel tips
I’m by no means a Berlin travel expert, but I’ve been here a fair few times that I thought I’d share some travel tips. Here they are, in no particular order. I’ll expand on this guide to Berlin as time goes by…
It’s not a complete list on all the best things to do in my favorite European city, but rather a collection of some of my favorites. Favorite bars, clubs, restaurants and other things to do. Whether you’re visiting just for a weekend, 36 hours, or a day, maybe some of these tips will be useful. They’re all my personal favorites and places I’ve been to in Berlin :-)
- Lerchen und Eulen (near Gorlitzer u-bahn) – Moscow Mule cocktails and cozy interior! a friend set her hair on fire in this bar and no one noticed, so, uh, this place is amazzzzzing!
- Möbel Olfe (near Kottbusser Tor) – gay bar! super crowded on thursdays
- Hotel Bar (near Kottbusser Tor) – hipsters and very smoky inside, but just how kreuzberg should be
- Mein Haus Am See (near Rosenthaler Platz) – omg! hipsters! and the best view in berlin is at the top of the stadium style seating, looking down on hipsters below
- Liberacion – in Friedrichshain – just be careful going to the bathroom here, feels like you may never return
- Multi Layer Laden (near Kotti) – cool hipster place, hidden behind the supermarket and through a curtain
- Locke Müller (near Görli) – probably Berlin’s best cocktails (or at least in Kreuzberg), smoky atmosphere inside, but the bartenders really know their drinks. suppose they have to, because there’s no menu. €8 for a cocktail is expensive for berlin, but worth it here.
- Gastón – In trendy Neukolln, this little Spanish tapas bar serves cheap beer and affordable tapas. With outdoor seating on a quiet street corner, you may just think you’re back in Spain.
- O Tannenbaum – This kitschy bar and club near Hermannplatz is decorated with fake Christmas trees and lawn furniture. They often have great DJs and it’s always open late.
- Mein Haus Am See – in case you want more hipsters! open 24-hours :)
- St Oberholz (near Rosenthaler Platz u-bhan) – hipsters with macbooks
- Bateau Ivre for meat & cheese plates – french hipsters
- California Breakfast Slam for American-style egg plates – american hipsters
- some quick bakery before you go to Berghain
- any u-bahn station will do – see this
- Berghain, of course – gay/straight and AWESOME
- “london calling” first friday of each month at Schwuz – gay club, indie/electro music night
- Cassiopeia – pretty cool club on Revaler Strasse in Friedrichshain. R&B and hip-hop nights are the most popular. Courtyard and rock-climbing are perfect in the summertime.
- Schwuz – hipster gays
- Gay Beach Berlin – tan gays
- GMF @ Weekend – every Sunday night in a Berlin skyscraper. Trendy gays.
- Zum Schmutzigen Hobby – on Revaler Strasse – small and very fun gay bar which also turns into a nightclub.
- Möble Olfe – at Kottbusser Tor, most popular on Thursdays when it’s too damn crowded.
- Silver Future – in Neukolln on Weserstrasse. Lots of lesbians.
- c/o Berlin Gallery – usually good exhibits
- Zozoville – Small gallery near Kottbusser Tor with quirky exhibits
- Museum of Photography behind Zoologischer Garten – great photo museum/gallery with permanent exhibits from Helmut Newton
- Bookstore: Shakespeare & Sons in Prenzlauer Berg (same owner as the bookstore by the same name in Prague)
- East Side Gallery – meh, but worth seeing because that’s probably why you’re here
- Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial if you’re into the holocaust – view my post from there
- Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe AND the Gay Holocaust Memorial
- Reichstag dome – you can go inside, and if it’s summertime, walk around on the roof! – photos
- Checkpoint Charlie museum is filled with information but it’s totally cluttered and disorganized
- Photography mentor workshop – Most people are in Berlin because it’s so damn creative and “artsy.” Why not take a 4-hour photography workshop where you’ll get to explore a local ‘hood and come away with some extra skillz? More info: I’ll Get You My Pretty photo mentor session
Parks & Platz’s
- Görlitzer!!!!!!! It’s where all the hippies, hipsters, and druggies hang. Try not to get stabbed. But well worth the visit. – video
- Also, Kreuzberg Park is great for watching sunsets
- Sundays at Mauer Park for the outdoors karaoke – for reals, this sh*t is real good.
- Winterfeldtplatz Platz for the farmer’s market on Saturdays
- Boxhagener Platz for the hipster shopping market on Sundays
- Best shawarma: Maroush at Kottbusser Tor. Trust me.
- Best burrito: Dolores (San Francisco style!) wins by popularity; Santa Maria on Oranienstrasse is good too
- Best Vietnamese: Miss Saigon (Gorlitzer u-bahn) is great!
- Best noodles: I can’t tell you how many times I’ve bought a big box of €2.50 “Chinese” noodles at the Nollendorf u-bahn station. The woman who runs the shop is super nice!
- Best burger: The Bird. But I’m also partial to Room 77
Want more? Read all my Berlin travel blog posts
- 35 unique things to do in Berlin
- 5 favorite gay bars in Berlin
- 7 quirky things about living in Berlin
- A night of art & food: Berlin’s Taste Festival 2012
- A winter weekend in Berlin by Instagram photo
- An ode to the Berlin Späti
- Beats by Dre event in Berlin, live with David Guetta
- Berghain nightclub – the best club in the world?
- Berlin airport rant: Tegel sucks
- Berlin’s Sugar Museum (Zucker Museum)
- Berlin’s summer starts with MyFest — Kreuzberg’s best street festival
- Berlin’s Tropical Islands: best way to escape a Berlin winter?
- Berlin’s U-bahn by Instagram
- Bon Iver live music gig in Berlin
- California Breakfast Slam!
- Celebrating NYE 2013 in Berlin: loud and bright
- Christopher Street Day gay pride in Berlin 2012
- Dancing in Berlin: Schlesisches Tor U-Bahn
- Exploring Berlin’s Christmas Markets—from the trendy to the quirky
- Fête de la Musique in Berlin 2012 (photo essay)
- Four weeks of learning German in Berlin: was it successful?
- Gay Holocaust Memorial in Berlin
- German movies I didn’t know were German
- Getting naked in Berlin
- Graffiti park in Berlin: Preisterweg Nature Park
- Hipster Berlin: Görlitzer Park in Kreuzberg
- Inside Berlin’s C/O photography gallery
- Inside the German Reichstag dome by Norman Foster
- Instagramming Berlin: photos of autumn
- Is Berlin the coolest city in the world?
- Kiez culture in Berlin: my favorite places in Kreuzberg
- Learning German in Berlin…finally! Why I enrolled in a German language course
- Life as an American expat in berlin
- Living in Berlin, at least for a little while
- Losing myself in Berlin’s most surrealist bar & labyrinth
- Lost in my mind & finding inspiration
- Occupy Berlin demonstration photos, 15 October
- One crazy night out in Berlin
- One month as a hipster Berliner
- One week in the kino: Berlin International Film Festival
- Photo essay: Karneval der Kulturen (Carnival of Cultures)
- Photos (& video) from the MyFest street festival
- Photos from the 2012 Hipster Olympics in Berlin
- Polaroid photography exhibit in Berlin
- random update, july 13, 2011
- Respect Gaymes – LGBT sports event in Berlin
- Robbed in Berlin: I lost my iPhone!
- Rock & Roll Fashion Night, part of Berlin Fashion Week
- Ryoji Ikeda exhibit at the Hamubrger Bahnhof
- Social Media Week in Berlin
- Staycation in Berlin
- that time i saw a shakespeare play in german
- The Berlin, Tel Aviv connection: why these two cities are so cool
- The good and the bad about learning German in Berlin
- Things to do on a rainy day in Berlin
- Translating hip hop around the world
- Visiting the Sachsenhausen concentration camp memorial
- Week 2: Learning German is sometimes fun, but definitely stressful
- Week 3 of learning German: still fun but much more technical
- Why you should visit Berlin…in the winter!
- Within walking distance of Alexanderplatz
- Wombats City Hostel: The best hostel in Berlin?
Follow me on FourSquare for even more hipster Berlin travel tips!
Have something or somewhere to add? Leave it in the comments & I’ll check it out!