This travel sweepstakes ran from March 15, 2016 to April 15, 2016. Entries were collected at travelsofadam.com/contest
• • •
The sweepstakes included a prize of:
- airfare for 1 winner (and a guest) from anywhere Delta flies in the USA or Canada to San José, Costa Rica.
- 6-day itinerary provided by GayCostaRica.com, including hotels, tours and airport transfers. See the full prize description here.
- For the full terms of the sweepstakes, click here.
Email Marketing Campaign
The following e-mails were sent to TravelsofAdam.com subscribers to promote the campaign:
- EXCLUSIVE! First chance to win an LGBT holiday to Costa Rica! ? (March 14, 2016)
- 21.8% opened; 3.6% clicked
- Contest Alert! Win a 6-day holiday to Costa Rica (w/ flights, hotels & tours)! (March 17, 2016)
- 13.9% opened; 3.1% clicked
- A Beginner’s Guide to Costa Rica + other travel stories (March 26, 2016)
- 16.6% opened; 1.6% clicked
- Costa Rica Contest Update + travel tips (April 8, 2016)
- 44.5% opened; 5.1% clicked
Content Marketing on TravelsofAdam.com
To keep the contest top-of-mind for fans and site visitors of TravelsofAdam.com, the contest was promoted in a series of editorial content about Costa Rica. The following blog articles were published during the promotion period with mentions and clearly-marked, in-content ads to generate added interest in the destination, the partners and the sweepstakes:
- Win an LGBT Holiday to Costa Rica – Exclusive Sweepstakes! (March 15, 2016)
- Beginner’s Guide to Costa Rica (March 17, 2016)
- Costa Rica – Words and Phrases to Know Before Visiting (March 23, 2016)
- 7 Reasons to Visit San José, Costa Rica (April 4, 2016)
- Costa Rica Food & Drinks – Taste the Best of Tropical Cuisine (April 12, 2016)
There were 4,500+ views of the above Costa Rica content during the promotion period with the average user spending 2:38 time on site.
The following media articles were published during the promotion period.
- Win a Trip to Gay Costa Rica (My Gay Travel Guide, March 16, 2016)
- Over the rainbow with this Garland? (E-mail: GAYography Brief, March 17, 2016)
- NewNowNext BRIEFS by snicks (LOGO’s NewNowNext.com, March 18, 2016)
- 3 Things To Know When Visiting Costa Rica (Smash Vintage, March 22, 2016)
- SongKran, Costa Rica, Paris & More (E-mail: Travel Gay Asia, March 28, 2016)
- Win 6-Day Holiday to Costa Rica for 2 | Enter Here (Accidental Bear, April 4, 2016)
— DCHomos (@DCHomos) March 22, 2016
Social Media Ad Campaign
To increase the potential reach of the campaign, social media ads were booked on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. See a sample here:
Facebook proved to be the most effective ad platform leading to conversions, followed by Instagram.
— Adam (@travelsofadam) March 15, 2016
In the first 24 hours of the campaign, there were over 300 confirmed and verified email entries. Within two weeks of the sweepstakes, there were over 2,000 confirmed and verified email entries and a total of 3,800 entries by the end of the 30-day promotion.
The following outlines the most popular sites leading to conversions (confirmed entries):
- Facebook – 719 conversions
- Twitter – 318 conversions
- Direct (from travelsofadam.com) – 241 conversions
- AccidentalBear.com – 55 conversions
- Instagram – 31 conversions
- Reddit – 30 conversions
- LinkedIn – 9 conversions
Additional referrals came from contest/sweepstakes websites including ContestCanada.net, ContestGirl.com and SweepsAdvantage.com. These were links added not by the host(s) of the contest, but rather by entrants looking for additional referral entries.
This chart shows you how many leads were generated over time. There was a 45.1% conversion rate from the page visitors to signups.
The following chart shows the gender make-up of all contest entrants (3,800).
The following design and image assets have been made available for partners and media to use when promoting or covering the sweepstakes. Additional images are available upon request. Please contact Adam: firstname.lastname@example.org
• • •
Click here to view more case studies and marketing promotions from Travels of Adam.