Guide to Berlin’s best neighborhoods with recommendations on things to do in Kreuzberg, Neukölln, Mitte, Friedrichshain, Prenzlauer Berg & Schöneberg
Hipster hotel reviews — accommodation guides for every budget for some of the coolest places to stay in major cities around the world
In recent years, a new trend has emerged in the hospitality industry that caters to a unique group of travelers seeking unconventional and vibrant accommodations.
Welcome to the world of hipster hotels, where artistic flair, local authenticity, and LGBTQ+ inclusivity combine to create an unforgettable experience. In this article, we will explore what makes a hotel “hipster,” delve into the best cities to find such establishments, and shed light on the importance of LGBTQ+/gay-friendly hotels for all travelers.
Unconventional Amenities that Define Hipster Hotels
Hipster hotels are characterized by their unconventional amenities, distinctive design, and a commitment to providing a memorable experience for guests. Here are some features that set these establishments apart:
- Eclectic Decor: Hipster hotels often boast an eccentric mix of vintage furniture, repurposed materials, and quirky artwork, creating a unique and inviting ambiance.
- Locally Sourced and Organic Offerings: From farm-to-table dining experiences to locally brewed craft beers, hipster hotels prioritize sustainable and locally sourced food and beverage options.
- Co-working Spaces: Recognizing the needs of digital nomads and creative professionals, many hipster hotels offer communal spaces equipped with high-speed internet, comfortable workstations, and networking opportunities. Moxy Hotels are a great example here.
- Artistic Experiences: Embracing the local arts scene, hipster hotels frequently host art exhibitions, live music performances, and even collaborate with local artists to infuse their establishments with creativity. Most boutique hotels and B&Bs feature local art and crafts.
LGBTQ+ Inclusivity in Hipster Hotels (Gay-Friendly Hotels)
Inclusivity is an integral part of the hipster hotel ethos. Many of these establishments proudly embrace LGBTQ+ guests and actively create spaces that foster acceptance and understanding, regardless of how individuals identify. Here’s why LGBTQ+/gay-friendly hotels are important:
- Safe and Welcoming Environment: LGBTQ+/gay-friendly hotels provide a haven for queer travelers to feel safe, accepted, and celebrated, ensuring that everyone feels comfortable being themselves.
- Community Connection: These gay hotels (especially gay-friendly hotels in NYC) often collaborate with LGBTQ+ organizations, host LGBTQ-themed events, and curate experiences that cater to the specific needs and interests of the community, creating a sense of belonging.
- Economic Impact: By actively promoting inclusivity, hipster hotels contribute to LGBTQ+ tourism, attracting diverse travelers and generating economic benefits for the local community.
- Social Progress: Hipster hotels that prioritize LGBTQ+ inclusivity help promote equality and challenge societal norms, contributing to the ongoing fight for LGBTQ+ rights worldwide.
To Airbnb or not?!?
Staying in a local apartment can be a great way to stay somewhere when traveling. When the apartment is easy-to-find, when your hosts are cool and supportive, and when the budget is right—it’s a great way to travel.
And even as an Airbnb host, sometimes it’s a great way to experience travel even when you’re at home. You can meet other travelers as a holiday apartment host and share stories, share tips, and share your city.
Best Cities to Find Hipster Hotels
While hipster hotels can be found in various cities worldwide, certain destinations have become synonymous with this trend due to their thriving alternative scenes. Here are five cities that are renowned for their hipster hotel offerings:
- Portland, Oregon: Known for its bohemian culture, Portland boasts a multitude of hipster hotels that embrace sustainability, locally sourced cuisine, and a laid-back atmosphere.
- Berlin, Germany: With its vibrant art scene, trendy neighborhoods, and an abundance of creative energy, Berlin is a hotbed for hipster hotels and fun & funky places to stay that cater to the city’s avant-garde culture.
- Melbourne, Australia: Often hailed as Australia’s hipster capital, Melbourne houses a plethora of hotels that embrace the city’s coffee culture, street art, and live music scene.
- Tokyo, Japan: Tokyo combines traditional Japanese aesthetics with a hipster twist. Visitors can find hotels that fuse contemporary design, minimalist interiors, and an innovative approach to hospitality. Or there are traditional Ryokan inns and hotels which have their own unique vibe.
- Reykjavik, Iceland: Embracing the rugged landscapes and unique cultural heritage, hipster hotels in Reykjavik offer a blend of modern comforts and a strong connection to nature, making it a popular destination for adventurous travelers.
Follow @travelsofadam on Instagram for more hotel travel tips, photos & reviews!
Hotel Reviews & Blogs
Hipster hotels have emerged as a vibrant and inclusive niche in the hospitality industry, offering unique experiences that blend unconventional amenities, distinctive design, and a commitment to LGBTQ+ inclusivity.
With their eclectic charm and celebration of local hipster culture, these establishments provide a refreshing alternative for travelers seeking an authentic and welcoming experience.
Whether you identify as LGBTQ+ or not, these hotels are a testament to the power of inclusivity and a reminder of the importance of embracing diversity in the world of travel.
Finding a gay or LGBTQ-friendly hotel while traveling isn’t always easy. Use these 5 steps to find gay friendly hotels, Airbnbs, house sits, or more
House sitting is a fun, unique way to experience the world. Discover my favorite reasons why house sitting is special & why to try it for your next trip!
When my Uber first pulled up in front of the hotel, I knew I was in the right place. A red-bricked building with a large sign proudly proclaiming this as Wm. Mulherin’s Sons. I walked inside to find a restaurant and marble-top bar relatively quiet before the lunch crowd would soon walk in. The hotel’s …
An LGBTQ Travel Guide to the best gay hotels in NYC for LGBTQ travelers, including NYC hotels with special deals during NYC World Pride
Review with photos of Stockholm’s Hotel Rival – a former cinema theater located in the heart of trendy Södermalm at Mariatorget square
Sofitel So Hotel in the Silom area of Bangkok impressed me from the moment I entered the building.
From hotels with typewriters (Boston), to ones with guitars on the wall (London) and artisan soaps in the bathroom (anywhere even moderately interesting) — these are the coolest hotels of the year. They’re all picked from actual hotels I’ve visited in the past 12 months. • • •ACME HotelCoolest Hotel in Chicago, Illinois Chicago’s coolest hotel, …
The neighborhoods around Rome’s Termini Station are actually surprisingly cool. Tips on where to stay and the best bars & restaurants in the area
Photos and a review of the historical 3-star hotel Linden Row Inn (Richmond, Virginia) – a place where it’s easy to feel lost in time