People are always asking me what to do in Berlin, and even if I’ve posted a hundred million times on my favorite places, restaurants and things to do in Berlin, there’s always more to say. Whether you think
Berlin is Europe’s most hip city or not, there’s no denying the city’s special place in the world today. Berlin isn’t described as “poor buy sexy” without reason.
Though it’s the political center of Germany, Berlin is arguably the cultural hub of the country—and increasingly of the European continent. With major businesses moving to town and people flocking to the city from around the world, Berlin is one of the most unique and interesting places in Europe today.
Berlin for Beginners
Get an updated list of the best things to do in Berlin here.
And that’s why I want to share some of the most unique experiences and things to do in this historical city. Berlin isn’t meant to be seen, it’s meant to be experienced.
35 unique things to do in Berlin
*Note* Some of these places are now closed, see an updated list of things to do here.
1. Eat döner kebab—preferably after 4am unless you actually want to remember the experience
2. Have a currywurst—but don’t expect to fall in love
3. Dine in a (cheap) Vietnamese restaurant
5. Rent an apartment, learn German & stay a while
6. Drink a beer outside a spaeti—it’s what all the cool kids do
7. Work for a startup company
8. Start your own startup company
9. Have sex in a bar or club (whether it’s the bathroom or the dance floor)
10. Dance in an u-bahn station
11. Have a picnic in the park (park with the best atmosphere: Görli; with the best picnic spots: Tempelhof)
12. Enjoy a lazy afternoon at a coffee shop
13. Walk along the river Spree
14. Bargain for used Polaroid cameras and other knick-knacks at a flea market (flohmarkt)
15. Ride a bicycle
16. Visit the Holocaust memorial—don’t forget the gay one!
17. See the sunrise (it’s considered cheating if you have to wake up for it)
18. Learn some Berlin history at one of the 170 museums
19. Get caffeinated with a Club Mate
20. Take photos of some graffiti
21. Have a typical Berlin brunch (or an atypical one)
22. Visit an independent artist gallery (there are many)
23. Get lost in Berlin’s greenest park: Tiergarten
24. Eat great middle-eastern cuisine & other cheap eats
25. See the Brandenburg Gate, TV tower and Berliner Dom
26. Go for a swim in a pool inside a river
27. Shop! Friedrichstrasse, Ku’damm and indie boutiques in Kreuzberg, F’hain & P’berg
28. Buy a luke-warm samosa from the man who goes around all the hip bars every night
29. Give away your recyclable glass bottles to the bottle collectors in Friedrichshain & Kreuzberg
30. Lose yourself inside Berlin’s surrealist bar experience
32. View Berlin from above at either the TV tower (Fernsehturm) or Berliner Dom
33. See Berlin in miniature at the Loxx museum
34. Hang out on one of Berlin’s bridges (my favorites here)
35. Take a rooftop tour of the Reichstag parliament building
Berlin travel resources for short visits
Want the best local Berlin tips and ideas for things to do during your stay? Use these Berlin blogs when planning your visit:
Have a suggestion for one of the best things to do in Berlin or a helpful resource for Europe’s coolest city? Add it below in the comments and I’ll try to include it in this guide!